A programmable thermostat is such a great tool to have in your home to help you control the temperature in your house, at all times of the day. Especially now, as we approach the 100+ degree weather for the next several months, you want (and need) a “smart” thermostat to help you control your temperature and budget your costs. None of us look forward to the high summer energy bills we receive and a programmable thermostat can help you lower your bills.
Check out this fun, interactive site from ENERGY STAR which gives you a step-by-step tutorial on how to program your thermostat. If you are unsure how to operate a programmable thermostat, this is a great start to learn about it.
Here are some important things to remember with a programmable thermostat:
- Setting the temperature very high (like 90 or 95) and setting it very low (like 40 or 50) will not help cool or warm your home any quicker than using a more moderate temperature.
- Remember to change the batteries. You may need to check if your thermostat has a battery indicator. If not, change the battery at the same time you change your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors (at the Daylight Savings time in the spring and in the fall).
- Set your energy-saving settings for long periods of time (for example – 8 hours) during the day and during bed/sleep time. Consistent temperatures for longer periods of time, is best.
- During vacation, set the temperature at a constant temperature throughout the entire period of time you are away from your home.
- If you have a home with zoned heating and cooling, install a programmable thermostat in each zone. This is the best way to take advantage of maximum comfort and energy savings.
- Try to resist overriding your temperature settings. You set them for a reason and to help you save money. When you override them, it likely will contribute to a higher energy bill.
There are many great choices for programmable thermostats. Get started on the best comfort in your home and the lowest energy bills you have ever received. Marlin Services can help you determine what is best for your home and answer any questions you may have.
Stay cool and comfortable!
For more information on how we can help you save BIG this season, contact us NOW: (602) 470-1040