Tips To Keep Electric Bill Down In Summer
As our triple-digit temperatures continue they can bring high electric bills, and we at Marlin Services are reminding customers on ways to reduce energy use through the summer months to lower electricity bills.
Small measures such as turning off unneeded lights and raising the thermostat temperature a couple of degrees add up to big savings.
Here are 10 simple and free or low-cost measures to reduce energy use:
- Set your thermostat at 78 degrees or higher. For every degree you lower your thermostat, you increase your bill by 3 to 4 percent.
- Purchase a smart thermostat that is Internet-capable and can be programmed through your smart phone and computer.
- Use fans in combination with your air conditioning. Fans don’t make the room cooler but they make your skin feel 4 degrees cooler. Turn off the fan when you leave the room.
- Replace or clean your air conditioning filters once a month. Clogged filters cause your air conditioner to work harder and run longer.
- Close curtains and blinds on windows hit by direct sunlight to avoid bringing heat into the home.
- Avoid washing dishes, washing and drying clothes, using the oven and stove, and other activities that bring heat into your home during the hottest part of the day between 3 and 7 p.m. and make your air conditioner run longer. Perform those activities in the early morning or late evening hours.
- Nothing is more energy efficient for cooking than your microwave. It uses two-thirds less energy than your stove
- Having lots of food in your fridge keeps it from warming up too fast when the door is open. So your fridge doesn’t have to work as hard to stay cool.
- Turn off lights that are not needed.
- Unplug electronics when not in use such as TVs, cell phone chargers, computers and other devices. Electronics continue to draw power even when turned off and can account for as much as 10 percent of your energy use. Connect the devices to power strips that automatically cut off the power when not in use or that allow you to turn the power strip off
For more information on how we can help you save BIG this summer, contact us NOW: (602) 470-1040